2011 Australian Timber Design Awards winners announced!
Author: Chris Philpot
The winners of the 2011 Australian Timber Design Awards have been announced! The grand prize went to Circa Morris-Nunn Walker for Saffire, a lavish 20 suite resort overlooking Great Oyster Bay, Tasmania.
The judging panel was wowed by the manner in which the Saffire resort responds to its bushland surroundings. The organic curves of the resort roofs rise gradually above the bush like small hills, reminiscent of the gentle peaks of the nearby Hazard Ranges. These complex curves could not have been achieved without the design flexibility of pre-fabricated structural timber - a fact that ultimately gave Saffire the edge over other timber-rich finalists.
Winners of all categories were announced on October 18 at Chapter House, Melbourne. Major figures from industry and the creative professions were on hand to enjoy what has become the premier event in the Australian timber design calendar.
See the winners and all entries
- The Australian Timber Design Award: Circa Morris-Nunn Walker for Saffire
- Best Central Region (ACT & NSW): Timothy Moon Architects for Escarpment House
- Best Northern Region (NT & Queensland): Pouné Design for Gwinganna Luxury Villas and Signature Spa
- Best Southern Region (Tasmania & Victoria): Circa Morris-Nunn Walker for Saffire
- People's Choice: SKM-S2F for AIIM Processing and Devices Building
- Residential Class 1 - New Buildings: Timothy Moon Architects for Escarpment House
- Residential Class 1 - Best Renovation: Matt Gibson Architecture + Design for Kooyong Residence
- Public or Commercial Buildings: Circa Morris-Nunn Walker for Saffire
- Interior Fitout - Residential: Bureau SRH for The Birdcage
- Interior Fitout - Commercial: Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp (fjmt) for Bayside Police Station, Sandringham
- Outdoor Timber - Stand-alone structures: Fisher Design + Architecture in association with Mackenzie Pronk Architects for Giidany Miirlarl Education Space
- Sustainability: Wolveridge Architects for Hill Plains House
- Rising Star: Peter Walker of Circa Morris-Nunn Walker for Saffire
- Small Budget Projects: Hare & Klein for Carriage House
- Australian Certified Timber: Morrison & Breytenbach Architects for Tarremah Hall
- Engineered Timber Products: smith + tracey architects for Olinda Tea House
- Recycled Timber: Timothy Moon Architects for Escarpment House
- Solid Timber Cladding: Neil Architecture for The Avenue, Blackburn
- Timber as a Structural Element: Timothy Moon Architects for Escarpment House
- Timber Flooring: Bureau SRH for The Birdcage
- Timber Panels: Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp (fjmt) for Bayside Police Station, Sandringham
- Timber Veneers: Rintoul for The Concourse, Chatswood
- Treated Pine: Louise Williams LAW Building Design for Empire House Circa 1908
- Australian Designed International Project: Emergency Architects Australia with the West Ghizo Community for Ngari Community High School, Ghizo Island, Solomon Islands
2011 Highly Commended:
Residential Class 1 - New Buildings: Berlina Projects for Lilypad
Recycled Timber: Wolveridge Architects for Hill Plains House
Interior Fitout - Commercial: Allen Jack+Cottier Architects for Milson Island Indoor Sports Stadium
About the Australian Timber Design Awards
The Australian Timber Design Awards has been honouring excellence in timber design for twelve years.
Entry is open to architects, builders, designers, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects. Categories cover all major applications, small budget projects, sustainability, a People's Choice Award and a Rising Star Award. This year's entries will automatically be considered for the 2012 International Timber Design Awards.
View winners from 2011 and previous years.